Published on August 31st, 2016 | by Mattress Journal0
What’s The Deal With Labor Day Mattress Sales?
Every September, Americans celebrate hard work, but the holiday has also become known for Labor Day mattress sales. Why mattress sales on Labor Day, you might ask?
The holiday was originally created nearly 120 years ago to honor workers’ economic and social importance as a reaction to the Pullman Strike in which many workers lost their lives. Initially the holiday was celebrated via parades and festivals honoring local trade unions and labor groups.
Today, the holiday is viewed more as a day for leisure and as the official end of summer. And because many people are off work for Labor Day, malls and retail stores often run sales to attract business. In fact, for many industries Labor Day sales are second only to Black Friday.
Mattresses are one of the many items you’ll find heavily discounted this Labor Day. Beds and mattresses can be fairly major expenses for many households, so getting them during these sales can ease the burden on the budget and save hard-earned dollars. This guide will help you find a good mattress that won’t break the bank. (Bookmark this page and check back later if the sales haven’t been posted yet!)
Top Labor Day Mattress Deals of 2016
Here are some of the best deals we found while scouring our sources:
|Store||Mattress Type||Bed||Price (Queen)||Specs||Warranty|
|Amerisleep||Memory Foam||Revere Bed||$1,099||20 years|
|Sleepy’s||Innerspring||Beautyrest World Class Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm Set||$1,299||10 years non-prorated|
Above, we highlight one selection from each bed category from this year’s group of Labor Day mattress sales.
For memory foam, we chose Amerisleep because it is one of the few brands not using either low-quality materials or with hefty markups. There are a few cheaper memory foam options in Labor Day mattress sales, but most of those offer low-density foams, shorter return policies and warranties, and little or below-average customer reviews. More expensive brands aren’t using higher densities, and have similar or lower reviews and guarantees, making this established brand a good bet.
For latex, we highlight Astrabeds. This brand makes a customizable mattress, and is one of very few latex brands that offer holiday deals. What makes this brand stand out is their fair return policy compared to others in this category, and fair pricing. The Harmony uses only certified organic latex foam along with organic cotton and wool, and is backed by VOC and durability testing for those truly concerned about a green sleep space.
Innersprings abound in 2016 Labor Day mattress sales so picking just one is no easy task. We looked for a bed that delivered the best combination of coil count/durability plus quality foams for the price, as well as at reviews and guarantees. One we think stands out is the Beautyrest World Class Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm set from Sleepy’s. It has higher than average reviews and it’s an established model. Sleepy’s website seems fairly transparent about the quality, and the pricing proves fair.
How to Find the Best Labor Day Mattress Sales
Labor Day mattress sales represent one of the best opportunities of the year to find discounted deals on beds. Usually starting the week or weekend prior, retailers will begin releasing their promotions. Knowing how to prepare for shopping Labor Day mattress sales will have you ready to pounce on savings when the day arrives.
Research Beds Before the Holiday
It can be difficult to know where to even start researching with the plethora of mattresses available on the market. But, preparing before shopping Labor Day mattress sales helps you find the best bargains and savings. Browsing a showroom attempting to find a comfortable bed proves difficult in itself. Adding the pressure of a short sale period combined with a busy store and hovering salespeople, and it may seem overwhelming.
The best plan of action is to go before the sales start and scope out the different beds, or conduct some research online about the different mattress types and brands. The internet is a great resource for information and you can shop online also. Knowing what you want can help ensure you come away with a good deal and mattress that will actually meet your needs.
Learn About Mattress Types
If it has been awhile since you bought a bed, take some time to learn about the various options out there. Different types of gel foams and fancy fabrics are all the rage right now, but not all may live up to claims or be worthy of premium pricetags. Come prepared to shop smart during Labor Day mattress sales. Here are the most common types of mattresses you’ll find during these sales:
- Innerspring Mattresses: 63% overall satisfaction rate; Made with metal coils or springs with layers of fiber or foam on top. Can be combined with memory foam or latex layers. Might be cheaper and more widely available, but most likely to sag and cause pain.
- Memory Foam Mattresses: 80% overall satisfaction rate; Available in traditional, gel and plant-based memory foam varieties, with somewhat significant variances in heat and durability. Some models have very hefty price tags, but overall memory foam proves best at pain and pressure relief.
- Latex Mattresses: 79% overall satisfaction rate; Available in all-natural, synthetic and blended varieties, with natural latex considered ideal for shoppers concerned about chemicals. Latex proves very durable and good at pain relief but can be expensive and are mostly available online.
Know Your Mattress Size
Along with researching mattress types and brands, make sure you know the size you need to avoid getting stuck with return costs after the sale. It is usually a good idea to get the tape measure out and match the measurements to the standard size name.
- Twin/Single: 38-39” x 75″
- Twin XL/Long: 38-39″ x 80″
- Full/Double: 54″ x 75″
- Queen: 60″ x 80″
- King/Eastern King: 76″ x 80″
- California King: 72″ x 84″
Some brands may have sizes that are slightly different from the standard sizes. Make sure you confirm the dimensions before you commit to a mattress. You don’t want to buy one that is too big or too small for your frame or box springs.
Double Check Return and Exchange Policies
Whenever you are making a large purchase during a sale, always check on the return policies. For mattresses, you want at least 30 days to ensure the mattress is a good fit and most reputable retailers accomodate. Make sure to inquire about any return, restock, pickup, or shipping fees that will apply in case you do not like the bed. If the retailer does not allow returns, it may be wise to keep looking. You never know what may happen after you get the mattress home.
Avoid Promotional Beds
Some retailers will no doubt be offering some incredibly cheap mattresses from unfamiliar brands, or lower-quality versions brands make specifically for sales. These beds often use poor quality materials and may not stand the the test of time. It also usually proves difficulty finding details and reviews. If you buy it for a guest room or another place for frequently use, then perhaps the value aspect makes sense. If you need a mattress to use regularly though, avoid these altogether.
It’s not just retail stores that have Labor Day mattress sales, most online retailers do as well. It can be well worth browsing your options online, as you can end up with a better selection and a better deal (plus you don’t have to leave the house or make retail salespeople work on Labor Day!). Here are just a few benefits of buying a mattress online from our previous article on the subject:
- Laying on a mattress for 5-15 minutes in a showroom is not predictive of comfort while sleeping.
- More than 40% of people who have purchased a mattress in a local showroom have reported consumer regret.
- Online retailers tend to offer more generous return policies.
- Shopping online makes product comparison and research simpler and less stressful.
- Buying a mattress online can save a considerable amount of money, especially for specialty mattresses.
Many people don’t like the pressure they feel when shopping with showroom salespeople. Feeling under the gun can cause you to make hasty decisions. Also, salespeople tend to work off commission, which increases the cost to customers. A growing number of people prefer avoiding this by shopping for a mattresses online.
How to find Labor Day Mattress Sales & Discounts
Similar to discovering other holiday specials, try first checking retailer or brand websites to see if they have a sales banner or page for promotions. If you already know the type of bed you want, you may want to sign up for emails before Labor Day as most will email customers their upcoming sales. You can also ask salespeople if they know what their Labor Day mattress sales will be. Coupon websites like Coupon Mountain or Retail Me Not can also be good places to find sales, as can blogs. And of course, the local newspaper and TV commercials also often feature ads and sales.
Below, a few of Labor Day mattress sales and specials released so far (most start Labor Day weekend):
Amerisleep.com (plant-based memory foam):
Online at Amerisleep.com from 9/2 to 9/5.
- $200 off any memory foam mattress with code “LD200”, plus free shipping and free returns.
- 20% off Amerisleep adjustable bed with the purchase of any mattress
Astrabeds.com (organic latex):
Online at Astrabeds.com from 9/2 to 9/5.
- $150 off any size Harmony customizable latex mattress with code “LABORDAY”, plus free shipping and free comfort exchanges.
- 20% off Ergo Evolution adjustable base with the purchase of any mattress
Online at Macys.com and in stores, through 9/5.
- $147 – Sealy Cedar Valley Firm Queen Set
- $297 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Calm Canyon Firm Queen Set
- $397 – Beautyrest Classic Jillian Firm Queen Set
- $397 – Sealy Posturepedic Orchard Valley Firm Queen Set
- $497 – Sealy Posturepedic Cherry Hill Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $599 – Beautyrest Classic Bethany Plush Queen Set
- $697 – Beautyrest Recharge Mona Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $697 – Sealy Posturepedic Grant Park Ltd. Cushion Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $697 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite Gentle Retreat Extra Firm or Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $797 – Sealy Posturepedic Grant Park Ltd. Cushion Firm or Plush Euro Pillowtop Queen Set
- $797 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite Gentle Retreat Firm or Plush Pillowtop Queen Set
- $797 – Beautyrest Recharge Mona Firm or Plush Pillowtop Queen Set
- $897 – Sealy Posturepedic Knotty Pines Firm, Cushion Firm or Plush Euro Pillowtop Queen Set
- $997 – Beautyrest Recharge Plus Santa Rosa Luxury Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $997 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Hybrid Elegant Retreat Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $1272 – Serta iComfort Foresight Cushion Firm Memory Foam Queen Set
- $1297 – Stearns and Foster Estate Garrick Luxury Firm or Luxury Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $1797 – Beautyrest Black Giada Extra Firm Queen Set
- $1797 – Hotel Collection by Aireloom Vitagenic Copper Gel Firm Queen Set
- $2337 – Beautyrest Black Viviane Luxury Firm or Plush Pillowtop Queen Set
- $3299 – Tempurpedic Cloud Elite Extra Soft Queen Set
- $100-$300 off select Tempurpedic mattresses
- $50-$200 Tempur Ergo Premier and Ergo Plus adjustable bases ($1949 – Tempurpedic Ergo Premier base)
- Free box spring with Serta iComfort, Beautyrest World Class Hybrid, and Beautyrest Recharge World Class
Mattress Firm (innersprings):
Online at MattressFirm.com and in stores through 9/5.
- $159 – Hampton and Rhodes Firm Queen Set (doorbuster, model unspecified)
- $199 – Hampton and Rhodes Pillowtop Queen Set (doorbuster, model unspecified)
- $299 – Sealy Parsons 8.5” Firm Queen Set
- $299 – Hampton and Rhodes HR200 7.5” Medium Firm Euro Top Queen Set
- $399 – Hampton and Rhodes HR300 9” Plush Queen Set
- $399 – Sealy Posturepedic Ashlin 9.75” Firm Queen Set
- $449 – Hampton and Rhodes HR340 10.5” Pillow Top Queen Set
- $449 – Hampton and Rhodes HR320 10” Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $499 – Hampton and Rhodes HR400 11.5” Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $499 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Alesbury 8” Plush Memory Foam Queen Set
- $549 – Hampton and Rhodes HR420S 12.25” Plush Queen Set
- $599 – Beautyrest Greenwood 9.5” Firm Queen Set
- $599 – Hampton and Rhodes HR440 12.5” Pillowtop Queen Set
- $699 – Sealy Posturepedic Caversham 10.5” Firm Queen Set
- $699 – Beautyrest Recharge Ashaway 11” Plush Queen Set
- $699 – Hampton and Rhodes Kona 13” Limited Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $799 – Sealy Posturepedic Caversham 11.5” Euro Top Queen Set
- $799 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Kozma 10” Plush Memory Foam Queen Set
- $799 – Beautyrest Recharge Hartfield 11.5” Luxury Firm Queen Set
- $899 – Sealy Posturepedic Chaleigh 12.5” Plush Queen Set
- $3199 – Serta SmartReact Park Vista Firm Queen Set
- $3299 – Beautyrest Black Hybrid Clermont Pillow Top Queen Set
- $3499 – Tempur-Cloud Supreme HD Queen Set
- $4798 – Tempur-Contour Rhapsody Luxe and Tempur-Ergo Plus Adjustable Base Queen Set
- Up to $300 off select Tempurpedic mattresses
- Up to $200 gift card by mail with select Tempur Ergo base and mattress sets
- Get up to $200 store credit with select custom collection sets from Beautyrest Black Hybrid, Tempurpedic Supreme HD or Serta SmartReact lines (applies to pillows, protectors, delivery)
- $449 Leggett and Platt 100 adjustable base with purchase of Custom Collection Beautyrest Black Hybrid or Serta SmartReact Elite mattresses
Online and in select stores through 9/11.
- $149 – Serta Coralee Queen Mattress
- $388 – Sealy Posturepedic Carrsville Queen Set
- $388 – Serta Amber Creek Memory Foam Queen Set
- $588 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Taryn Queen Set
- $588 – Sealy Posturepedic Keene Euro Top Queen Set
- $796 – Sealy Posturepedic Leola Tight Top Queen Set
- $796 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Springview Super Pillow Top Queen Set
- $796 – Beautyrest Recharge Madelyn Pillow Top Queen Set
- $895 – Sealy Posturepedic Leola Euro Pillow Top Queen Set
- $895 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Glenellen Super Pillow Top Queen Set
- $895 – Beautyrest Recharge Ultra St. Caroline Tight Top Queen Set
- $50 Sears card with select beds over $749
- $100 Sears card with Beautyrest Platinum sets
- $200 Sears card with Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid or Stearns and Foster sets
- $300 Sears card with Tempurpedic or Tempur-Flex mattress sets.
- Free boxspring with Serta iComfort and iComfort Hybrid mattresses.
- Up to 60% off mattress sets.
- $75-$800 off adjustable base sets (savings vary by brand/model/size)
Serta.com (memory foam/springs):
Online at Serta.com through 9/12.
- Up to $800 off Serta Adjustable Base and Mattress Sets ($200-$300 off queen sets)
- Queen iComfort memory foam and adjustable sets start from $2774; Queen iComfort Hybrid spring and adjustable sets start from $2574.
- Free boxspring with iComfort mattresses (innerspring from $1074 in queen, memory foam from $1274)
Online at sleepys.com and in stores through 9/5.
- Up to ½ off every mattress.
- $199 – Ortho Posture Firm Euro Top Queen Set
- $299 – Sealy 5 Inch Emmett Creek Foam Firm Queen Set
- $399 – Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Firm Queen Set
- $499 – Ortho Posture 11 Inch Essential Comfort Firm Queen Set
- $599 – Laura Ashley Ainsley Plush Queen Set
- $699 – Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Plush Queen Set
- $799 – Sealy Posturepedic Santa Ana Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop Queen Set
- $899 – Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $1099 – Sealy Posturepedic Port Luxury Plush Queen Set
- $1299 – Beautyrest World Class Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm or Plush Queen Set
- Free boxspring with any Serta mattress.
- Up to $600 of G.S. Stearns mattresses (queen sets from $1899), and up to $600 off Reflexion 4 adjustable base.
- From up to $300 off select Tempurpedic mattresses and up to $200 off select Tempur Ergo adjustable base sets.
Tempurpedic.com (memory foam):
Online at Tempurpedic.com through 9/11.
- Up to $300 off Elite and Luxe lines ($200 in queen size)
- Up to $200 card by mail with select Tempur Ergo base and mattress sets (in queen size, $75 with Ergo Plus, $150 with Ergo Premier)
Now that you know why mattress sales have become a fixture of Labor Day, make the most of the holiday and save some dough on your next mattress purchase. Researching mattresses before shopping, checking policies, comparing online and knowing where to find deals can help ensure you come away with sweet dreams. Remember, buying a new bed during Labor Day weekend doesn’t mean compromising on quality or support, but finding the bed you want at the best price. Labor Day mattress sales are one of the best times of the year to do it, so the odds are in your favor.